Friday, July 4, 2014

God Bless the USA!

Friday of the Thirteenth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click Here for Readings)


Gospel of Matthew 9:9-13
“Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do. Go and learn the meaning of the words, I desire mercy, not sacrifice. I did not come to call the righteous but sinners.”


Happy Birthday, America!  Today is a special day for Americans all across our beautiful nation.  We celebrate Independence Day when our nation became the land of the free and home of the brave.  It's a day spent with family and friends eating BBQ and drinking cold beer; playing sports or lounging by the swimming pool; attending a parade or religious service.  Fireworks end the festivities with plenty of oohs, aahhs, and joyful cheers!

God & the Forefathers  Our Forefathers sacrificed a great deal of blood, sweat and tears to establish a nation where we enjoy immense freedoms.  Some Americans question if the United States is still a solid leader in the global economic and political world. Are we becoming a nation of porkers instead of innovators?  Are we going to keep falling behind in our children's education compared to other countries?  Will we lose our religious liberty?  

Fortunately, on a day like today, many of these questions take a backseat in our minds.  We focus on the good aspects of living in the United States -  freedom of religion, freedom of the press, right to bear arms, right to vote and own property, and even the right to entrepreneurship.  People are still flooding into our country with the desire to become a US citizen. It's seen as a land of amazing opportunity!

God certainly blessed our Forefathers with incredible intelligence and wisdom!  Without their foresight and determination our nation would not be the same.  

Let us honor our military and our government leaders for their service.  Let us remain united and strong as fellow Americans!

God Bless the USA!

----

If tomorrow all the things were gone I'd worked for all my life
And I had to start again with just my children and my wife
I'd thank my lucky stars to be livin' here today
'Cause the flag still stands for freedom and they can't take that away

And I'm proud to be an American where as least I know I'm free
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me
And I'd gladly stand up next to you and defend her still today
'Cause there ain't no doubt I love this land God bless the USA

-Lyrics from "God Bless The USA" by Lee Greenwood 

No comments:

Post a Comment