Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Leading the Ewes to Safety

Tuesday of the Second Week of Advent

Isaiah 40:1-11


Like a shepherd he feeds his flock; in his arms he gathers the lambs, carrying them in his bosom, and leading the ewes with care.



God's Loving Care  Sunday I decided to attend evening Mass at a sister parish.  With icy streets, I wanted to make sure I saw signs of "thawing" before I ventured out in my car.  I arrived before Mass early as usual and chatted with a couple of friends from my home parish.  They, like me, decided to attend a later Mass.  The liturgy began with terrific music from the life teen band ensemble.  As the lector pronounced the first reading, I detected a faint odor.  It burned my nostrils.  I looked around to see if anyone else smelled it. I thought to myself, "Oh, maybe it's just one of the altar candles burning too close to the wick."  The pungent odor got stronger.  Then I thought, "Wow, that can't be a candle.  Smells like gas!  I wonder where it's coming from?"  I felt nervous:  Candles all over the altar with a gas leak!?  YIKES!  Just the day before I heard on the news about a woman killed inside her home from a propane leak explosion.  I didn't want that to happen inside the Church with hundreds of people.  Fortunately, the priest became aware of the situation, stopped Mass, and asked everyone to evacuate the building quickly and orderly........

Feeding the flock  The church parking lot was a mess, so I decided to hang out for a while until traffic died down.  Quite a number of people did the same thing.   I was amazed when the priest and deacon went back into the Church and brought out seboria containing consecrated communion hosts!  Anyone who wished to receive communion could take it right there outside near the courtyard.  What a beautiful, holy gesture! When I received communion under such unusual circumstances, I felt  Jesus wrapping his arms around me in a protective embrace.  I stood behind the priest and the deacon looking at the faces of the small group of communicants coming forth. I smiled warmly knowing Jesus' presence with us. Everything would be okay! I knew the gas fumes would subside, the church would be safe again, and we'd all drive back home safely.  

Cry out!  Shout out to the Lord with praise and thanksgiving!  As a member of that small group of outdoor communicants, I felt as if I was a lost sheep suddenly discovered by Jesus.  I'm happy I didn't run off very far.  I didn't stray from the beaten path.  In spite of safety concerns in the church, Jesus was there to protect each one of us from harm.  I cry out to him with tears of joy and thanksgiving.  Considering all of the fires happening around the city lately, I feel relieved we were spared from any disaster.

-J.  

No comments:

Post a Comment