Monday, August 8, 2011

Take Courage...Do Not Be Afraid!

At once Jesus spoke to them, "Take courage, it is I; do not be afraid."  Peter said to him in reply, "Lord, if it is you, command me to come to you on the water."  He said, "Come."  Peter got out of the boat and began to walk on the water toward Jesus.  But when he saw how strong thewind was he became frightened; and, beginning to sink, he cried out, "Lord, save me!"  Immediately Jesus stretched out his hand and caught Peter, and said to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"  (Matthew 14:22-23)

This story from the Gospel of Matthew is one of my favorites in the bible.  Peter's fear of the strong winds sinks him into the ocean.  If only he trusted in Jesus 100% , he would be walking on the water effortlessly without trepidation.  So many times fear and cowardness paralyzes us.  This is where Jesus love and helping hand can eliminate those fears....

Last week I lost my job after over 11 years of steady employment.  Talk about a stab to my pride and ego; an embarassment; a gut-wrenching, anxiety-producing, terrifying event in my life. I sensed job loss was coming due to the economy, changes within the organization, and my overall unhappiness with the work situation.  In so many ways, losing my job has become a blessing in disguise.  Even though worried about my finances, I know my strong faith in God will get me through this difficult situation.   I couldn't believe the RELIEF I felt walking out of my company's doors.  Relief that the stresses of a "dead-end job" were over.  Now my chance to start over with a brand new company has arrived.  I can reflect back on all of my failures and achievements as I search for a new job. I've learned some hard lessons when it comes to the working world.  I pray my unemployment status is for only a short-period of time.

When I got the pink slip, I felt like Peter sinking in the ocean! I know Our Lord is there to pick me up and  help prepare me for a new, better job.  However, I cannot stay idle. I must work diligently!



No comments:

Post a Comment