Saturday, November 29, 2014

Be Vigilant at All Times

Saturday of the Thirty-fourth Week in Ordinary Time

(Click a Here for a Readings)

Luke 21:34-36
Jesus said to his disciples: “Beware that your hearts do not become drowsy from carousing and drunkenness and the anxieties of daily life, and that day catch you by surprise like a trap.  For that day will assault everyone who lives on the face of the earth. Be vigilant at all times and pray that you have the strength  to escape the tribulations that are imminent  and to stand before the Son of Man.”

I know what anxiety feels like.  I live with it on a daily basis.  Some days are worst than others....

I recently went through my annual review at work.  It was not so great.  My boss was very negative and threw a couple of accusations at my face.  The boss said a coworker complained that I called her an idiot and was condescending towards her.  Turns out the coworker was complaining about another employee!  I was absolutely livid!  I do a good job for the company and don't appreciate a boss who says to my face, "You have a bad reputation here."  What?!  What a blow!  

I've come to the conclusion that I must be vigilant.  Stay as positive as I can in this job; do my tasks well; and start looking for alternative work.  My retirement funds are fully vested now, so I can move on with a new company.  

I've tried not to think about work over this holiday weekend.  It's been tough! I've prayed to God, " I thank you, dear Lord, for the blessing of employment. Please  free my mind and heart from all of work's anxieties and burdens.  Give me  the confidence and calm to go into work on Monday with a smile on my face.  We all receive criticism. Give me the strength to remain composed and not worry so much of what others think of me. Amen."

This is the last day of Ordinary Time.  The season of Advent begins tomorrow.  Are you ready?  Are you prepared?  Advent is when we anticipate the birth of the baby Jesus and reflect on Christ returning at the end of time.  Vigilance is an important component of the process.  Here are a few questions to think about during this beautiful liturgical season:

  • How strong are we in our faith?
  • Do we make prayer a priority in our busy lives?  
  • How do we avoid falling into temptations?
  • How do we currently handle our tribulations? 
  • In what ways can we better serve Christ and others?
  • How can we improve our relationship with The Lord?
Don't allow holiday stress get the best of you.  Don't overindulge and over consume in an effort to hide from your troubles.  Turn to the Lord with a renewed strength and vigilance.  Pray with the scripture readings of the day.  I guarantee the Lord's words will change your perception.  Life isn't as bad as it seems.  We go through highs and lows, becoming bruised by unfairness at times.  However, in the end God is looking after us.  Difficult situations always have a way of working themselves out.

Happy Advent!

-J.

No comments:

Post a Comment